Steps to earn the accredited CDAAC Christian Certificate and the CADTP State Certification
Becoming a dual credentialed drug and alcohol counselor through ACADC involves a variety of steps. This includes:
- Complete the registration process
- Provide proof of your high school diploma or GED.
- Complete the required 9 hour basic bundle course and receive a passing score on the exam. This includes Professional and Ethical Standards of Case Management (3 hours); HIPAA, Privacy Rule and Confidentiality of Client Records (3 hours); and Analyzing Multiple Relationships between Counselor and Client (3 hours).
- Successfully complete the CSAC 1 entrance exam and receive the entry level Christian Substance Abuse Counselor credential (CSAC 1)
- Begin your internship practicum.
- Complete the 315 hour academic requirement.
- Complete the required 255 hour field practicum and 2080 hours of AOD work experience. See the specific sign-off requirements below under “ECPA”.
- Pass the CDAAC test – Receive your Christian Drug, Alcohol & Addiction Counselor certificate (CDAAC)
- Pass the IC&RC test – Receive your CA state-certified “CADC-1” counselor credential.
CSAC I Requirement
The student must register with ACADC, pay the entrance exam fee of $395.00 and complete the CSAC I Entrance Inventory. To register, the student must fill out and submit a completed Registration Form and enroll to take the CSAC I Exam (included in the registration form). Upon the successful completion of the CSAC I exam (our entry level certificate) and the completion of the registration process, you will receive the SUDRC credential. This credential (Substance Use Disorder Registered Intern) qualifies you to begin an internship under proper supervision within a treatment facility that is licensed or certified by the California Department of Health Care Services. The CSAC-1 exam was specifically designed to let us know that you can safely counsel from a Christian worldview. This exam is not a pass/fail. It is designed to show us your level of spiritual understanding and let us know that you have a Christian worldview. If it appears to the inventory examiner that you need help in order to better understand certain principles, you will be contacted by an education counselor who will teach you the important areas one must be aware of to hold a Christian worldview as a counselor.
Begin attending required CDAAC classes to meet the 315 hour academic requirement
315 academic hours pertaining to alcohol and others drug (AOD) classes are required. You can begin to attend classes at the Huntington Beach Institute. If you have prior education, we will evaluate your transcripts and let you know what we can approve and what courses you will still need to take in order to meet all ACADC and CADTP requirements.
Field Practicum Tracker Forms
- Click here for the Work Experience 2080/3000 hour Work Experience Log TRACKER form (use as many as needed)
- Click here for the Field Practicum 255 hour Field Practicum Log TRACKER form (use as many forms as needed)
- Click here for the Field Practicum Hours 255 Hour AFFIDAVID form
- Click here for the Work Experience Hours 2080 Hour AFFIDAVIT form
Educational Counseling and Progress Accountability – “ECPA”
Each student must schedule a counseling appointment with an ACADC Education Counselor or Administrator who will initiate a training progress file to track each student and make sure that all ACADC education and practicum requirements are met which include the following:
- Take and pass the CSAC I Entrance Inventory
- Take the required 9 hour basic bundle course and receive a passing score on the exam. This includes Professional and Ethical Standards of Case Management (3 hours); HIPAA, Privacy Rule and Confidentiality of Client Records (3 hours); and Analyzing Multiple Relationships between Counselor and Client (3 hours) exam
- Complete the 315 hour academic requirement.
- Affidavit verifying completion of the required 255 hour AOD field practicum (must be completed in a licensed and certified AOD treatment facility). The person signing off on these hours must be a state licensed or certified AOD counselor with a level of certification greater than the one you are obtaining or be a licensed health care professional in a AOD clinical supervisor position.
- Affidavit verifying completion of the required 2080 hours of work experience (must be completed in a licensed or certified AOD treatment facility). Applicants with an Associate Arts Degree in Behavioral Science or allied health profession will require 2080 hours of work experience. The person signing off on these hours must be a state licensed or certified AOD counselor with a level of certification greater than the one you are obtaining or be a licensed health care professional in a AOD clinical supervisor position.
Required Fees for Dual Certificate Program – $3000.00
Fees Breakdown – $3000.00
- Registration: $395.00 (due upon registration)
- Academic Portion: $2605.00
A payment plan is available if needed.